There’s no place like hope…

On this Sunday afternoon, I’m embarrassed to say that I have only been up for less than three hours!

BUT, I’m not embarrassed to say why! Yesterday, beginning at 5pm, you could find me in the field house along with hundreds of other people for the 12-hour-long Bucknell branch of Relay for Life! As a part of Team CHOICE, I participated in this awesome event, where groups from all over campus gathered together to walk, to fund raise, and to build up the fight against cancer. The theme was The Wizard of Oz, and the field house was decorated from floor-to-ceiling with Oz-like materials.

The numbers all around were impressive. From the number of teams to the number of participants to the final count of funds raised by our University, I couldn’t help but get the chills! The final count at the end of the night for the amount of money that we raised was, drum roll please, $97,395! It was incredible!!!

So just what did we do for 12 hours, you ask? Well we walked a TON of course, but when we needed to rest our feet, each team had a space where they could camp out, play games, listen to the performers, and just talk! It was so cool to look around and see all of the team members throwing Frisbees, playing card games, and eating tons of candy (to keep us awake all of those hours!). There was even a station in the front of the field house where you could sew a pillowcase that would be donated to children with life-threatening illnesses…mine was Hello Kitty themed :)

Overall, this experience was very touching. The speakers were inspirational, the performances and activities were very high-energy, and the dedication of those involved was awe-inspiring. I will definitely be participating in Relay for Life in the years to come, and will surely love every minute (really every HOUR) of it!

2 Responses to “There’s no place like hope…”

1. Connie Monachino says:

In case you do not know my name, this is Steffany’s grandma. Congratulations on a job well done!!! What an awesome bunch of kids you all are :)

2. Emily Burnett says:

Thanks so much :) It was such an awesome experience, I can’t wait ’til next year!