Information security lecture by a former FBI special agent

On Monday, March 21, 2011, our first day of class after the spring break, I attended a great lecture in MGMT 358 class by Mr. Edward Gibson. The first impression for me was that Mr. Gibson stand in front of the entrance of the class room, shaking hands and sending his business cards to everyone who came in. In addition, he asked everyone’s name. When I told him my English name, he even wanted to know my real name in Chinese. This made me feel respected, and I admire his professionalism and personality.

The most interesting part is was his former FBI experience. When he tracked down crimes, he used different amazing technologies through the Internet. At the same time, he showed us Industrial (economic) Espionage insider threat: intentional plant or disgruntled. After receiving the blackmail letters, some global companies had been extorted and they had paid. When they ignored those extortion, blackmail, and insider threats, they didn’t go away — and insider threat is greater than all external threats.

When we are enjoying surfing the Internet, watching movies/TV shows, playing online games, even checking e-mails, there is always a chance that our pc or laptop might be attacked and is data transferred into a crime tool by the “bad guys.”  Therefore, it is very important for us to update our computer systems and programs regularly.

Thanks to Mr. Gibson for showing us the real-world threat around us on the Internet and helping us to prevent those kinds of attacks.

3 Responses to “Information security lecture by a former FBI special agent”

1. Tom –
    Thank you for your very kind comments. It was my privilege to be able to present to you and colleagues at Bucknell University on 21 March 2011. I today received student comments regarding my presentation and am once again humbled by the wonderful remarks. One common theme prevailed – classmates recognized they were largely unaware of privacy issues on the internet, particularly social media, and the ease by which their personal information can be harvested off of Facebook and other similar media. I received many requests for the slide listing my 4 steps to a more safe computer. I hope I left the presentation with the understatnding that all computer users have a responsibility for their own privacy and safety on the internet. “In the absence of information, the mind fills in the blanks, and it is rarely positive. In the face of overwhelming information, we tend to ignore it all and go with what a friend or neighbor says.” Please do not hesitate to seek facts – encourage your classmates to ask questions before downloading a program onto their computer or application onto their cell phone. Fight the urge to be a “yes” person on the internet. Best of success to you and colleagues.

Edward P Gibson, CISSP
    Director – Forensic Technology Solutions, PwC, Washington DC; Ed.Gibson@us.pwc.com; +1 703 789 5281
    FBI 1985-2005
    Microsoft UK,Chief cyber Security Advisor 2005-2009

2. Tina says:

Hi, Tom, are you from China?

3. Tom Haokang Zhu says:

Yes!